giovedì 26 ottobre 2017

Green Day

I.B.C.

The Green Day are a U.S. rock band founded in 1986. The band is composed by: Billie Joe Armstrong (guitar and voice), Mike Dirnt (bass and secondary voice) and Tré Cool (drum).
The Green Day are among the top-selling groups in the history having sold more than 85 millions discs all around the world. Also the Rolling Stone magazine has put them in the “new immortals” list; “new immortal” is a list of artists defined as the legend of the music history . The historical newsweekly “Billboard” has ranked them at the 4th place in the chart of the best alternative artists of all time. In addition the band has won 6 grammy awards so far and on 18 april 2015 they were introduced in the rock and roll Hall of Fame.
One of their most famous albums is “American idiot” published on 21 September 2004; this album was put in the 500 best albums by Rolling Stone magazine, at the 225 place. Till 2012 it sold 14 milions of copy. The main topic of the album is the attack addressed to the “american idiot”: the band criticizes the american paranoic life-style where everything passes through the media and they brodcast what they want you to believe.
Among the polemic targets of the Green Day there is the usless war in Iraq that caused thousands of deaths. Another theme is about a rebel guy who wants to do whatever he wants and to be free. One day he runs away from home, but at the same time he is very confused and falls into the trap of drugs and alcohol. Then he starts thinking about suicide; finally he is helped by a girl he falls in love with, at this point he tries to understand what to fight for and what he reallly wants for himself.
The song we like the most is “Boulevard of broken dreams” and it talks about the rebel guy and his mood after his last hangover when he realizes that he will always stay alone if he runs away from the problems by taking refuge in alcohol.

Lyrics
I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goes
But it's only me, and I walk alone
I walk this empty street
On the boulevard of broken dreams
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one, and I walk alone
I walk alone, I walk alone
I walk alone and I walk a
My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
Till then I walk alone
Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah
I'm walking down the line
That divides me somewhere in my mind
On the border line of the edge
And where I walk alone
Read between the lines
What's fucked up and every thing's all right
Check my vital signs to know I'm still alive
And I walk alone
I walk alone, I walk alone
I walk alone and I walk a
My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
Till then I walk alone
Ah ah ah ah ah
Ah ah ah ah ah
I walk alone, I walk a
I walk this empty street
On the boulevard of broken dreams
Where the city sleeps
And I'm the only one, and I walk alone
My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
Till then I walk alone

We chose this song because it sounds great but also for the meaning: it makes you understand that life will always be troubled and, to feel better, you will have to deal with problems instead of avoiding them.

GLOSSARY
Avoid: to keep or stay away from something
Target: aim, goal; a person or thing at which an action or remark is directed
Criticize: to judge or dicuss about the merit of faults of something
Meaning: it’s what the song’s lyrics talks about
Hangover: the aftereffects of drinking alcohol
Broadcast: to transmit programs on radio or tv
Mood: it’s an emotional state in a particular time 
Theme: it’ s a subject of a talk
Newsweekly: it’s a newspaper published every week
Top- selling: something that is extremely popular, usually sold in large quantities

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento