mercoledì 11 maggio 2016

The fire of passion and The Ink Spots

the Hammer



This song is a beautiful jazz track performed by The ink spots (they are an unknown group, who sang during the 1940s) in 1944 in which the band imagines a love story between a man and a woman. The man is a bourgeois who has lost all his ambition of wordly acclaim beacause he's fallen in love.I think this is one of the most romantic song written during the second World War.

Unfortunately there's no video for this song, maybe beaucause it was written in hard times.                 




Lyrics:
I don’t want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart
In my heart I have that one desire
And that one is you
No other will do
I’ve lost all ambition for worldly acclaim
I just want to be the one you love
And with your admission that you feel the same
I’ll have reached the goal I’m dreaming of

Believe me
I don’t want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart

[Spoken Word] I don't wanna set the world on fire, honey
I love you too much
I just wanna start a great big flame
Down in your heart
You see, way down inside of me
Darlin' I have only one desire
And that one desire is you
And I know nobody else ain't gonna do

Believe me
I don’t want to set the world on fire
I just want to start
A flame in your heart


The song's lyrics is not very long but in a few verses The ink spots had made an eloquent track.
In the first verses they compare the war destruction (the world is on fire because of the Second World War) with the passion and tje flame that burns the main character heart beacause he's in love with a woman.
This man is ready to give up his fame and all his ambitions to run after his beloved lady and he
doesn't want anything else but passion.
Maybe he thinks that only this girl can give him what he wants for his life.This track is the perfect mix of Jazz and Doo Wop, two of the most famous kinds of music in the 19th
century.


Glossary
Flame: burning gas or vapor, as from wood or coal. A fire makes flames, flames can be dangerous because you can get burnt
Wanna: want to, it expresses a desire
Wordly acclaim: the fame and notoriety in the society
Darling: a person very dear

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento